Every so often I get the urge to start a relatively small and quick project. This time I got the urge to do a small cross stitch piece of a horse by Jan Sorrells that I’d found ages ago in a cross stitch magazine (I’m not sure which one — all I have is a couple of pages torn out of a magazine my mother or grandmother originally had). I’ve been wanting to do that horse for a while, plus I have some random 14 count aida I want to use up and a bunch of unnumbered bobbins of floss I’d like to work through.
Meh, I was planning on finishing it as a wall hanging, not framing it, so I can make this work with some fray check and careful handling.
Then I spent a bit of time checking my available floss against images of the DMC floss called for. I didn’t have enough browns, but I can give the horse a blue halter instead of a brown one and use some blended needles. I had a couple of colors that I’d picked out but changed after I started working with them and realized they didn’t work as well as I’d thought they would. This is after about a week’s worth of work: