It’s been a while since I last updated (major understatement). In that time I’ve moved to a new apartment with faux hardwood floors, which means I need some sort of area rug, but I didn’t like any of the commercial ones I found at a reasonable price. Naturally the solution is to knit one. (Naturally for me, anyway. Maybe not for anyone else.)
I’m using the Ocean Currents rug pattern I found on Ravelry — it’s a great pattern, but the original rug was made with yarn the designer dyed and spun herself specifically for the rug. I opted for cheap acrylic as I’m trying to get this done in a reasonable amount of time at a reasonable price.
This is the result of my first week of knitting:
The colors aren’t quite as nice of a gradient as I would like — because I am using Red Heart, I have a limited color palette to choose from. Interestingly, every time I start a new color (so far I’ve used four of the five I will use in total) I’ve hated it and thought it was way too extreme of a color change. However, when I come back the next morning and look at it, I think it looks pretty good.